History & Background
Construction of Kantajew (or Kantanagar) Temple began in 1704 under Maharaja Pran Nath of Dinajpur and was completed in 1752 by his adopted son Raja Ramnath, dedicated to Lord Krishna in his Kantajew form. Originally topped by nine ornate spires (navaratna), the temple lost its towers to an earthquake in 1897, leaving the current flat-roofed structure, but its walls remain covered in what is considered the finest and most extensive terracotta relief work in Bangladesh, depicting scenes from the Ramayana, Mahabharata, and daily 18th-century Bengali life.